(Embedded Facebook status)
(Photo courtesy: Mission of Palestine)
My name is Rayhan Rashid. I am a Bangladeshi living in Oxford, and I #SupportGaza.
I ALSO THINK:
* that in #Gaza, patterns of international crimes are evident with the State of Israel as the perpetrator.
* that in #Gaza, the ruling Hamas and its partner Muslim Brotherhood are also liable of international crimes, for instigating and escalating the violence, for putting innocent Palestinian civilians in harm’s way.
* that the manufacturers and dealers of weapons used in this conflict are all complicit in international crimes.
* that the politicians and lobbyists in the West and in the Middle East who allowed or perpetuated this status quo of conflict, are all liable of international crimes.
* that protesting only about #Gaza and ignoring the mayhem in #Syria, which is also taking place at this very moment, is nothing but hypocrisy.
* that there is no alternative to an unconditional and immediate ceasefire from both sides now.
* the recent initiative at the UN may be seen as yet another half-hearted move if it is not seriously followed up by credible international inquiry into the international crimes in Gaza on all sides, leading up to possible prosecution of the key perpetrators.
* that for any such inquiry to really yield result, unfettered access at all levels and sites is a pre-requisite.
* if prosecution at the International Criminal Court proves impossible due to existing jurisdictional impediments, setting up a new special international tribunal could be an alternative which must be considered.
* that the international community, for six decades, has not only let down the Palestinians, it has also betrayed those Israelis who actually believed in peace and never condoned the conflict or the violence.
* it is time to change things.
Difficult? YES. Impossible? NO.